data-mm-id=”_7a4xtok5b”>On Wednesday, the New York Jets announced they had restructured quarterback Aaron Rodgers' contract. That's not an unusual occurrence and would have passed largely unnoticed around the NFL if not for the numbers that were released. Rodgers wound up taking a pay cut of roughly $35 million to help the Jets out. The Green Bay Packers have to be furious at that news. When Rodgers was traded from the Packers to the Jets this offseason, he agreed to move a $58.3 million option bonus to 2024 to help the Jets fit him under their salary cap limit. That meant he'd be owed $107 million in 2024. That was untenable, so something had to change. Today that change was announced and it's mind-boggling. Rodgers and the Jets have agreed to a two-year deal with $75 million in guaranteed money. It will cover the 2023 and 2024 seasons and has two option years tacked onto the end of it to help prorate the signing bonus over a longer time period. His cap number in 2023 will only be $9 million, helping the Jets out tremendously by providing them with a ton of flexibility. Rodgers had roughly $110 million guaranteed on his old contract, so he's basically giving up $35 million. The Jets have to be thrilled after they surrendered significant assets to acquire him (first-, second-, sixth-round picks in 2023 and a conditional second-rounder in 2024). The four-time MVP will be 40 by the end of the season but it appears he plans to play multiple years in New York. After seeing Rodgers give up money to help his team, the Packers cannot be happy. Because of Rodgers' onerous contract, the Packers had to let a number of players walk over the past few years. Davante Adams is first on that list, followed by Corey Linsley, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Za'Darius Smith and Allen Lazard, among others. Rodgers wasn't bending over backwards to make things work in Green Bay. Especially after they drafted Jordan Love as his future replacement. Before the 2022 season, Rodgers and the Packers agreed to what was essentially a three-year, $150.8 million deal with $101.5 million guaranteed. It was technically a five-year deal but the final two seasons were added solely for salary cap purposes. It was a massive contract that clogged up the team's balance sheet. On top of that, to trade him away, the franchise had to incur a $40 million dead cap penalty for doing so. That's a big part of the reason Lazard is gone and they couldn't add much in free agency this offseason. So even though Rodgers is playing for the Jets, the Packers have a $40 million hole in their ledger because of him. And his new salary is actually worth less than the cap hit the Packers are taking. Yikes. Yeah, I'd imagine the folks in the offices on Lombardi Way aren't thrilled today.
Related Posts
FIFA has been criticised by a prominent former Australia footballer after appointing Brazilian supermodel Adriana Lima as a global fan ambassador ahead of the Women s World Cup.
Moya Dodd, a former member of the FIFA executive committee, said it was a truly baffling decision that was tone deaf .
World governing body FIFA announced Lima s role on Monday, saying the 41-year-old would develop, promote and participate in several global initiatives involving fans from all over the world! .
FIFA president Gianni Infantino said: When you get to meet Adriana, you feel right away her warmth, kindness, and how approachable and passionate she is about our game. She lives and breathes futebol and that is also why she can be an excellent link between FIFA and fans worldwide. …
World Cup winner Paulo Dybala says he has no clue about his future at Roma ahead of their European League tie with RB Salzburg.
The 29-year-old Argentinian forward left Juventus on a free transfer for Roma on a three-year deal last year, but has been linked with Manchester United recently.
Dybala has impressed at the Giallorossi this term, netting 11 goals and providing seven assists in 21 appearances.
However, he reportedly has a €12m (£10.7m) release clause in his contract which could be triggered by clubs outside of Serie A, with Dybala not hosing down the United speculation.
When it comes to my release clause, as I said before it s something between my agent and the club, Dybala told reporters. I can t know what s going to happen at the end of the…
Mason Greenwood replaces the injured Anthony Martial in the Manchester United team as Jose Mourinho returns to Old Trafford for the first time since his sacking.
Martial was substituted towards the end of United s last match, a 2-2 Premier League draw with Aston Villa, and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told MUTV the France forward could be out for a little while .
Taking Martial s place in the United attack is 18-year-old striker Greenwood, who starts a Premier League game for the first time this season, while Scott McTominay is fit to come into midfield.
Juan Mata, Andreas Pereira and Brandon Williams drop out of the team that started against Villa, with Ashley Young, McTominay and Jesse Lingard drafted into the XI.
Here s how will line up for
— …
All three of Tottenham s strikers are subject of heavy interest from other Premier League clubs as Manchester United have made their first major move of the summer. According to the Guardian, Manchester United have finally bid £20 million for their long term target.
The Bulgarian is thought to be relishing the prospect of playing his trade at Old Trafford given that he could be given Champions League football and a hefty pay-check of about £80,000 per week, according to the same report.
Tottenham s willingness to sell for £20 million, however is question. It was thought that the London club was looking for a transfer fee closer to £30 million, but The Guardian reports that they will settle for less as they want to raise funds for the tran…
Competition: EFL Cup
Market: Manchester City to beat Bristol City
Odds:
There are a number of huge games this midweek as the Premier League takes a backseat. The EFL Cup enters into the latter part of the semi-final stages with both ties are still very much in the balance. Bristol City host Manchester City on Tuesday with both teams well aware that one strong performance could see them in with a chance of winning the first piece of silverware of the season.
Bristol City have been in good form this season in the league and they will be hoping that progression to the EFL Cup final will only see confidence rise. After 28 games, Bristol have 13 wins, while they have drawn nine and lost six times, scoring 40 goals and conceding 32 times. In their la…
Tottenham head coach Mauricio Pochettino has announced he has verbally agreed a new contract extension, tying him to the club until 2021.
Pochettino took over at the club in 2014, moving from Southampton to take the top job at White Hart Lane, but the Argentinian had been linked with a switch to Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the season.
He has guided Spurs to second this season, although it looks as though they will lose out to Leicester City in the Premier League title race following Monday s 1-1 home draw with West Brom.
It s an easy decision, Pochettino told the media ahead of Tottenham s Premier League match at Chelsea on Monday.
When you are happy and when you feel the love of the people and the potential of the club is massive. Why change…
Fiorentina striker Luca Toni believes his side can make history by beating Juventus in the crucial Serie A clash on Saturday.
Toni realised a boyhood dream when he signed for the Serie A champions back in 2011, but his short spell in Turin came to an abrupt end when he joined UAE outfit Al Nasr.
Now plying his trade for Fiorentina, the 35-year-old is relishing the prospect of facing his old employers, and insisted his current side are capable of picking up all three points give
00004000
n their performances so far this season.
He told Corriere dello Sport: I was a Juventus fan from a young age but when I moved to Modena I just started supporting the team I was playing for.
I injured myself during my second game for the club and (Luigi) Del Neri told …
Christian Eriksen intends to stay at Ajax next season even if his form at Euro 2012 attracts bids from European giants.
The Danish playmaker has been billed as one of the brightest talents on the continent and played for his country as they defeated Netherlands in their first Euro 2012 match in Kharkiv on Saturday.
Eriksen has been linked with a number of clubs including Manchester United, Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur and Roma. And, although the 20-year-old has made no secret of his desire to play in another league, he feels his career will be best served by staying with Ajax for at least one more year.
I think the best thing for me will be to play for Ajax next season, Eriksen told Goal.com.
I need to play and develop rather than rush in to a big ste…
Jorginho said he would be surprised if Chelsea head coach Maurizio Sarri left the Premier League club amid links to Juventus.
Sarri led Chelsea to a third-place finish in the Premier League and the Europa League final in his first season in charge at Stamford Bridge.
However, a return to Serie A has been mooted for the former Napoli boss – who has emerged as a possible replacement for Massimiliano Allegri at Serie A holders Juve.
Jorginho – who followed Sarri to Chelsea from Napoli – was asked if he would continue his relationship with the 60-year-old if he departed London and the Italy midfielder told Sky Sport Italia: I have four years on my contract with Chelsea.
I d be surprised he did leave, because we are third in the Premier League behind Ma…
Jadon Sancho is guaranteed to stay at Borussia Dortmund for next season, according to CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke.
England winger Sancho has been heavily linked with Manchester United after a standout 2018-19 in the Bundesliga, in which he registered 12 goals and 14 assists in 34 appearances.
Dortmund have always maintained they do not intend to sell the 19-year-old, though, and Watzke has made it clear Sancho is not on the market.
It can be assumed that Jadon will not play more than 10 years at BVB, he said to Bild. But we have clear agreements about the present. Jadon is not on the market and he plays next season at Borussia Dortmund, guaranteed.
Dortmund, who missed out on the league title to Bayern Munich by two points, have wasted little time in stren…